Wednesday 12 March 2008

Linux Adventure #1: Installation

Step number one in my adventure on the road down Linux Lane went surprisingly easy!

Slapped in the shiny new Ubuntu 7.10 disk, and installed it with no problems. Probably is a good point to mention that the PC I'm using is an old machine with a 20.5Gb HDD that was liberated from a local primary school when they chucked it out. What a waste!

Anyway, the only error I got was the lack of internet connection for a system update, and something about commenting a line in a file :S Didn't really understand that, I'm more of a GUI guy if I'm honest!

Next came the peripherals... Mouse and keyboard worked (obviously), and then I realised I only have 2 USB ports on the computer! Enter my trusty old Belkin Hub, which worked out of the box (read: dusty cupboard) and gladly accepted the mouse, my pen drive and the USB Network Card (discussed later)

Everything working so far, played a few games... everything's hunky-dory!

Until the time came to start on t'internet...

No comments: